Tuesday, April 12, 2016

"Fungus, Styrofoam"


My first graders have been obsessed with the song, "Lean On" lately, and thankfully have parodied their own lyrics. In place of:

"Blow a kiss, fire a gun
We need someone to lean on"

They prefer:

"Fungus, Styrofoam, 
All I need is somebody to lean on"

I totally hear it!

They just finished a science unit on animal adaptations. We talked about behaviors, teeth and beaks, feet and fins, fur and feathers, and camouflage. I wanted to wrap up the unit with a creative art project so I found this awesome idea from Anne Farrell at Use Your Colored Pencils. I cut a stencil of a chameleon and then they chose a pattern they liked out of our scrap magazines. The assignment was to camouflage the chameleon into an environment where its body could be hidden. I thought they did pretty well!


The top left is a viperfish and the bottom is a display of purses. Afterward we talked about the different elements of art that each portrayed whether it be lines, pattern, value or variety. Super fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment